Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ike: the making- Part 1


This was one heck of a project! I made a costume based on Ike, from Fire Emblem for a good friend of mine. He has a part in a small indi movie, and needed to supply his own costume for it. The problem, was that I had about two weeks notice to start and finish it! I took on the challenge because I love the design, and I thought it would be a wonderful addition to my portfolio. Many hours, and a few sleepless nights latter I finished the costume right on time, and thanks to Max I have pictures to share my process with all of you.

Today I will start with the jacket.


My least favorite part of sewing, cutting out the patterns! I started with a commercial pattern, and then tweaked all of the cut out pieces on a dress form.

I finish all of my edges when I'm sewing, so here I am serging the edge of every pattern piece before I sew it together.
The shell of the jacket. I serged the lining in, since all of the edges are covered in binding. You can also see the collar I draped , and the beginning of the binding on it.

A messy shot at the half way point in the binding. All of the binding was hand sewn to the inside of the jacket.
Binding finished, and sleeves attached. The jacket is closed with a invisible zipper.

Thats it for the jacket! I forgot to snap a picture of it with the attached coat tails, but you will be able to see them in the final post when I put up the finished product =)
Next up is the cloak.

No comments: