Sunday, August 17, 2008

Working on new skills

So this is totally a procrastination post- I had planed to make a post for the last costume I finished today. But because I'm a bit lazy, I'm going to make this post about two skills on working pretty hard on right now. Draping, and fashion sketching.

I've been an artist my whole life, in one form or another. Next to sewing, my next strength was drawing for a long time. Sadly, around Junior year of high school I started to let my drawing slip, and focused entirely on sewing and crafts. I'm starting to pick up the pencil again, because I've realized that to be the best costumer I can be, I need to be well rounded in my skills, and that includes being able to design.
So right now I'm working on a few designs for my portfolio, so that I can show that I am capable of creating a garment from start to finish.
This is the start of the first one. Its only the first sketch, but it captures the general idea of the dress. I'm still playing with the color, but I'm leaning towards shades of green, possibly an olive color. Think of this as a sampler piece, its going to show everything I have learned about draping so far.




And here, is my first drape! Its a basic bodice, and shortly after this picture was taken I draped a skirt for it, and put it together as a dress. Its a bit messy, but I am so pleased with it. I'm teaching myself from a book, so it is a bit slow going, but I'm already in love with the art.


Next time I post, It will be my Ike costume (unless I put it off again!)

1 comment:

Kater said...

omg I can't WAIT for my flat pattern/draping class this semester! Yours is looking good so far! Let me know when it's done!